- ACLU of Illinois/Roger Baldwin Foundation
The ACLU of Illinois’ Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer/Questioning (“LGBTQ”) & HIV Project seeks, through coordinated litigation, public education and legislative advocacy, to advance the rights of LGBTQ people and people living with HIV to equality, privacy, personal autonomy, and freedom of association and expression. Our work is based on the principle that fighting for civil liberties involves not only persuading courts but also changing the way people think about the issues facing people who are LGBTQ or living with HIV. The ACLU strives to ensure that the racial and economic diversity of the LGBTQ & HIV-impacted community is reflected in its work.
We work in collaboration with local and national organizations as well as the ACLU’s National Office and the ACLU’s nationwide network of state affiliates.
ACLU seeks an attorney with substantial advocacy experience, including complex federal and state court litigation, for a new full-time LGBTQ & HIV Project Staff Attorney position. We invite applications from experienced attorneys who have a demonstrated commitment to civil rights and civil liberties, and who would be interested in, and capable of, playing a lead role in complex innovative litigation and policy advocacy. Under the supervision of the Roger Baldwin Foundation’s LGBTQ & HIV Project Director, the Staff Attorney will work to develop and implement advocacy strategies in identified areas. Litigation tasks include legal research, drafting of pleadings and briefs, discovery, motion practice, and trials and appeals in both state and federal courts. The attorney will also be involved in developing and implementing non-litigation advocacy campaigns, including pursuing program objectives through legislative efforts. In this context, the Staff Attorney will collaborate with the ACLU Advocacy and Intergovernmental Affairs staff and Communications and Public Policy staff. This counsel also will work with volunteer attorneys who assist in program activities. The Staff Attorney will also engage in public speaking and media appearances.
This is a two-year position subject to renewal.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The annual salary for this position will be based on the ACLU’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation after first year; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff and their eligible dependents; 403b plan with match; life insurance; and long-term disability insurance.
- At least five years of litigation experience preferred.
- Familiarity with LGBTQ rights, the rights of persons with HIV, and other civil liberties issues is desirable, while commitment to those issues is essential.
- Experience in litigation or advocacy related to LGBTQ persons and/or persons living with HIV preferred.
- Experience working with LGBTQ, HIV-impacted, and racially and economically diverse communities preferred.
- Self-motivated and committed to civil liberties advocacy.
- Ability to participate in all stages of complex litigation and to formulate and implement sophisticated legal strategies.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to supervise junior lawyers and to collaborate with cooperating counsel.
- Ability to work cooperatively on a variety of projects with lawyers, other staff members and diverse community organizations and coalitions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in legal and non-legal settings with a wide range of individuals and organizations.
The ACLU of Illinois is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.