For more than 50 years LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan
Chicago with comprehensive, free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues.
Each year LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, unfair evictions and improper benefit denials and terminations. Our work impacts more than 40,000 people each year.
Position: Ombudsman Paralegal for Suburban Cook County and/or Lake County
- Visit assigned long-term care facilities in Lake County and suburban Cook County to educate residents, family members, facility staff and the public about residents' rights and investigate and resolve complaints;
- Attend resident and family council meetings to advise on issues related to long-term care; organizes and develops family councils when necessary;
- Develop and maintains productive relationships with long-term care staff;
- Develop knowledge of relevant law and regulations including Medicaid, Medicare, and federal and state laws relating to long-term care;
- Complete all training as required by the Illinois Department on Aging;
- Assist in the recruitment, training, and retention of volunteer ombudsmen;
- Assist in promoting the Ombudsman Project throughout the service area.
- Perform intake, engage in fact gathering and advocacy;
- Represent clients at hearings before the Illinois Department of Human Services, Nursing Home Division in cases involving the denial or termination of Medicaid eligibility for long-term care residents; and
- Perform other duties reasonably related to Community Ombudsman job functions.
Qualifications: Applicants must have, excellent oral and written skills, and a commitment to social justice. A college degree is required (except for current internal applicants as specified in the Collective Bargaining Agreement). A background in working with low-income populations, the elderly, or people with disabilities is helpful. Spanish fluency is a plus. Residence in Lake County or northern Cook County suburbs is a plus. Basic internet and computer skills are required, including familiarity with such programs as MS Word, Outlook, and Excel. Good organizational skills are essential. Previous experience in a long-term care facility is preferred. Applicant must have a car.
Salary: Depends on experience. Generous fringe benefits.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of two professional references by February 28, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to write “Community Ombudsman Paralegal” in the subject line of your e-mail. Be sure to reference in your cover letter if you reside in northern Cook County or Lake County. No phone calls, please.
LAF values Diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.