For more than 50 years, LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
Position: LAF is hiring a staff attorney for its Public Benefits Practice Group. Specifically, the Staff Attorney will advocate for eligible clients concerning benefits from the Illinois Department of Human Services, Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services, Illinois Department of Aging and Social Security Administration.
Responsibilities: Each staff attorney will be responsible for:
- Representing clients in administrative proceedings with state and federal agencies, concerning public benefits such as Medicaid, SNAP, TANF and Social Security disability benefits;
- Pursuing appeals of administrative decisions and affirmative and defensive litigation in state and federal courts;
- Working with a team of other attorneys, paralegals, and volunteers;
- Maintaining deep knowledge of frequently changing laws, regulations, policies and practices concerning public benefits;
- Educating community members and service providers about benefit programs;
- Communicating complex concepts to clients who sometimes have limited education or communication barriers; and
- Building relationships with community partners.
Qualifications: Applicants must be licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois. Lived or professional experience with low income populations and public benefits is preferred. Applicants must have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well under pressure. Spanish language proficiency is preferred.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, copy of law school transcript, writing sample, and the names of two professional references by close of business on February 9, 2018 to:
Please type “Public Benefits Staff Attorney” in the email subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
LAF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY