For more than 50 years LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including public benefits issues, domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Our work impacts over 30,000 people each year.
LAF seeks a full-time attorney to serve as a Supervisor in our Immigrants and Workers’ Rights (IWR) Practice Group. The Practice Group provides individual legal representation and engages in broad-based advocacy in the areas of immigration, migrant, anti-human trafficking, and employment law. IWR is the only practice group at LAF that represents clients statewide.
Responsibilities include without limitation
- Supervise the legal work of staff attorneys, law students, volunteers, and others; primarily in the fields of employment and unemployment law, wage theft, employment discrimination, labor based U-visas, and labor trafficking.
- Co-counsel cases as part of staff development and be responsible for training staff and overseeing their professional development
- Maintain a caseload of individual cases
- Engage in advocacy designed to have a lasting measureable effect on our client community
- Engage in community outreach, which can include travel across Illinois
- Manage grants within IWR that specifically impact our employment practice
- Assist in grant management across LAF where it is deemed a grant will affect IWR funders
Applicants must be licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois, and have at least five years of legal services or general civil practice experience, including considerable experience with employment law or unemployment law. Applicants must have excellent communication skills, the ability to work well under pressure, and be committed to working as part of a team.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience working with low-income clients. Fluency in Spanish is highly desired.
Send a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for two professional references to email@example.com. Please type “Supervisor Employment Law: IWR Practice Group” in the email subject line.
LAF values Diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.