For more than 50 years LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Our work impacts over 40,000 people each year.
LAF is seeking a temporary staff attorney in the Children and Families Practice Group at LAF. The attorney will primarily handle cases for clients in special education and school discipline matters. The position will last no more than 6 months.
- Providing comprehensive legal representation to clients in education law related matters, including representing clients at school special education meetings, administrative due process hearings pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, administrative school expulsion hearings under the Illinois School Code, and various state and federal court proceedings under education and disability law;
- Managing a substantial individual caseload of the above cases;
- Attending trainings and maintaining knowledge of current legal issues;
- Assisting with grant reporting requirements;
- Collaborating with other advocacy groups on systemic issues; and
- Other duties as determined by the Supervising Attorney and Director.
The attorney should be able to drive and be willing to travel frequently throughout Cook County, often on short notice, to meet with clients, school personnel, and others. The attorney will share the work of screening, advising, representing and referring individuals seeking assistance with other attorneys, a paralegal, and a supervisory attorney.
Qualifications: Applicants must have a J.D. degree and be licensed to practice law in Illinois. Experience working in education or law is strongly preferred. Familiarity with the following legal areas strongly preferred: special education, school discipline, and child welfare. Candidates must have strong oral and writing skills; be highly organized; good client communication skills; and have a valid driver’s license.
Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience level. This position does not include fringe benefits. A part-time or full-time work schedule may be available.
To apply: Send resume, cover letter, transcript, writing sample, and the names and contact information of two professional references, by e-mail, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put the phrase “Temporary Ed Law Attorney” in the subject line of the e-mail. No phone calls, please.
We will consider applications on a rolling basis beginning immediately. The deadline for applications is February 15, 2018, and applications received after that date will not be considered.
LAF values Diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.