OrganizationNational Immigrant Justice Center
LocationCan be done anywhere
Challenge the unlawful detention of immigrants by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), particularly indefinite detention. DHS detains more than 40,000 noncitizens in civil immigration detention daily. Immigrants who are detained include asylum seekers, victims of trafficking or crimes in the United States, longtime lawful permanent residents, and others with avenues to immigration relief. In the Midwest, individuals are detained in county jails. The Chicago Area of Responsibility (AOR) includes McHenry County Jail (IL), Kenosha County Jail (WI), Dodge County Jail (WI), Pulaski county Jail (IL), and Boone County Jail (KY). Given the extensive resources needed to prepare these cases, NIJC prefers to partner with law firms rather than individual attorneys to ensure adequate resources for case management.
About the Organization
Heartland Alliance's National Immigrant Justice Center (NIJC) is dedicated to ensuring human rights protections and access to justice for all immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers.
The National Immigrant Justice Center provides immigration legal services to low-income immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers.Our staff of attorneys and paralegals are ready to provide immigration legal help to:
- Immigrants applying for family-based permanent resident status and citizenship
- Survivors or witnesses of violence seeking U visas
- Individuals applying for Temporary Protected Status or NACARA
- Immigrant survivors of human trafficking
- Individuals facing deportation
- Asylum seekers
- LGBT and HIV-positive immigrants fleeing persecution
- Detained immigrant adults and children
- DACA and other humanitarian relief
- NIJC charges income-based fees for some consultations and services.